Today's game was a tale of two halves. After trailing 3-2 at halftime and then 4-2 early in the 2nd half, the boys rallied for five goals en route to a 7-4 win. How did the boys do it? I can can answer that question in one word...HUSTLE. After a halftime pep talk (and then giving up that 4th goal in the 36th minute), the boys settled down, turned on the jets, found their "A" game and took charge for the final 24 minutes of the game.
With all of that said, credit has to be given where credit is due. The boys from Team Evanston played a great game and gave the Hawks a run for their money. They were well coached.
Here are some highlights from from today's game:
- Seven goals were scored by five different players.
- ZERO illegal throw-ins (great work)
- The boys were called for off-sides on four occasions today. That is also an improvement over last week.
- There were also seven fouls called on the Hawks today. On one occasion, one of our boys made a pass back to the keeper, who then proceeded to pick up the ball. That is an illegal pass and always results in an Indirect kick from the top of the circle. Had the keeper played the ball with his feet, the play would have continued.
- One of Team Evanston's players was cited with a Yellow Card for a hard foul on one of our boys. Instead of retaliating, our players took the high road and reached out to shake hands with the other player. That was class. Nice going!
My favorite part about today's game was that they overcame that nervous feeling of falling behind in the score and used the remainder of the game to take care of business. After allowing that 4th goal, the boys tightened up on defense in a big way. They only allowed one shot on goal the rest of the way. That was huge.
Up next, we are back on the practice field tomorrow at 4:00 PM to start prepping for the Wings. Game time is Sunday, September 23rd @ 4:00 PM at the Hawks Nest. Because the game is on Sunday, we will have an 80 minute practice on Saturday, September 22nd starting at 4:00 PM. Check the website for details.
Be proud with the team today! They continue to work efficiently to improve their game and help make the team better with each passing week.
We will see most of you tomorrow. Happy New Year's to those of you celebrating.